- Biomedical and pharmaceutical database
- Contains all of the MEDLINE's citation and many more unique citations
- Use when conducting systematic reviews or when searching for information on:
- food/diet/nutrition, medical devices, or drugs
- Go to Ruth Lilly Medical Library Databases
- Scroll down to click on, Embase, OR click "E" on the alphabet bar
- NOTE: If you are off-campus, you will need to enter your university ID and password before you can access this resource
Basic search in Embase
- Identify main concepts
- Type terms in the Quick Search Box
- Use a single or double quotes around a phrase
- Use subject heading from EMTREE
- Combine concepts using Boolean operators: AND, OR, NOT
Using AND will retrieve fewer results (ex. heart attacks AND aspirin)
OR will retrieve more results (ex. heart attack OR myocardial information)
NOT will exclude unwanted terms (ex. substance abuse NOT cigarettes).
Results Page: Fine-tune your search
Beneath the search box: If you click Quick limits, you will have the options to limit your search to Human subjects and English language.
Left-side bar: From most recent search, click each filter to see how many articles are in that subset: e.g. age, gender, drugs used, and other diseases.
Find full text or an article
- To see if full text is available, use the Find It Button
located on the upper-right-hand side of the page. This will take you to a page where you can link to the full-text.
- If no full text is available, scroll down and click on Ruth Lilly Medical Library Content Management & Delivery under “Additional options for finding full-text” Log in with your IU username and password to request the article.
Export, Print, and Save Embase references
- Check the boxes to the left of the desired articles.
- Click on the Print, Export, or Email link (found at either the top or the bottom of the search results) and follow the prompts.
- For EndNote Desktop, make sure the export format is RIS format
(Reference Manager, ProCite, EndNote).
- For EndNote Web (Basic), make sure:
- the export format is Plain Text and output is Full Record.
- the import option is EMBASE.com.