RLML Makerspace is temporarily closed.
What is Makerspace
A Makerspace is a community space that provides free tools for members of a community to use in their hands-on projects. Our Makerspace has been created for the IU School of Medicine community and serves IUSM students, faculty, and staff. The space is also staffed with experts in emerging technology to help overcome hurdles to learning new technologies.
- No food or drink the Makerspace as it may damage the equipment
- No one group or individual can reserve the entire Makerspace
- While the Makerspace is not a quiet area, it should not be a loud area either. Please keep voices at a reasonable volume, especially when the door is open.
- No unauthorized use of the 3D printer or soldering iron. Students must complete safety training before they can use the 3D printer or soldering iron without supervision. If asked, the student must be able to produce proof of having completed this safety training.
- Please follow safety guidelines provided when using the equipment in the Makerspace
- Materials in the Makerspace are for everyone. If you have a large project that requires a significant amount of material, please consult the Nexus Manager about which materials are compatible with the equipment in the Makerspace and purchase those materials.
- Disruptive or disrespectful students may be asked to leave by the library staff, if they refuse to do so campus security will be called to remove the student.
- Do not unplug or move any of the equipment without the express permission of the Nexus Manager.
- Students with reservations will take precedence for instruction over walk-ins. Walk-in instruction will be conducted on a first come, first serve basis.
- Under absolutely no circumstances is anyone to touch the hot end of the 3D printer or the soldering iron.
- Items that have been left behind will be taken to the circulation desk for retrieval.
- Due to limited ventilation, please refrain from using any products that produce toxic fumes (e.g. spray paint, rubber cement)
Please email the library’s Tech Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Ruth Lilly Medical Library, IB 202
Indiana University School of Medicine
p: (317) 278-7240
Hours of Operation:
Makerspace is open Monday - Friday from 10 AM to 4 PM (EST) or by appointment.